Your Southern California Vacation:
What Do The Locals Know? Where Do The Locals Go?
Welcome, Southern California vacation traveler! We’re here with insider information to help you create the best possible experience, whether it will be a short weekend break or part of your family summer travel plans.
Why an emphasis on the Southern California locals' vacation perspective? Well, years ago we took a trip to Chicago, meeting up with a friend who had lived in the area. He showed us around with an insider's perspective and the fun factor went way up!
...the point being that a Southern California vacation can be greatly enhanced with the right local “color” and insight as to recreation options. For that, you have come to the right place--the Southern California Vacation Guru!
Southern California is a huge place, with an awesome number of vacation destinations, attractions, beaches, and writers of movie screenplays. Here you will find what the locals know—important scuttlebutt that we’ve learned about Disneyland Resort, Knott’s Berry Farm, SoCal beaches and a bunch of other major targets for your California vacation dinero. We locals can also tell you about that perfect hidden “off-the-wall” shopping or dining experience.
Here is just a tiny sampling of the bases we cover:
- Detailed information, scuttlebutt, tips and links to the best specialty websites for all of the major SoCal theme parks: Disneyland; Disney's California Adventure (with its billion-dollar facelift); Knott's Berry Farm; Sea World; Legoland; Universal Studios Hollywood and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Pretty much everything you need is here or linked to (linked to?).
- What if you only have a couple of hours squeezed out of a busy Southern California vacation itinerary to check out some Hollywood landmarks and celebrity homes; where should you go with such a time limitation? We've got ideas.
- Does it make sense to drive down to San Diego from the Disneyland area for one day of your vacation?
- Where is a good place to go for a beach bonfire and s’mores?
- Where can I find a Bubba Gumps restaurant?
- Where can you get beginner’s surf lessons?
- Do I really need to spend 80 hours wading through all the dozens of Disneyland Resort web sites to find what's most helpful and interesting?
- What if I need to find a place to park my blimp?
- I'm flying in (not by blimp), can I get around reasonably by public transit, taxi cabs and shuttles? If so, where should I stay?
- What is the story behind the Paradise mentioned in Joni Mitchell's popular song "Big Yellow Taxi?"
- Is the Buffalo Springfield Song "For What It's Worth" a war protest song or a song about an intersection in Hollywood?
- Is it true that no Southern California vacation is complete without a trip to In 'n Out Burger? (Answer: Perhaps. Decide for yourself by ordering a "double-double, animal-style.")
There are reasons to hit the big-name travel sites out there such as Travel Zoo, Trip Advisor, Expedia and others, which you’ll want to check out. Also available are many local web sites with Southern California travel information ranging from great to BORING. We’ll save you some time and weed through those SoCal travel sites, giving you suggestions for other local sites with their own different emphasis.
And, we’ll put you directly and effortlessly in touch with many of your favorite Southern California vacation attractions and destinations.
Organization and some advance planning will help you pack the most into your vacation schedule and budget (the latter being particularly important in these difficult times). We can’t answer every specific “what if” that might come up, so our goal is to give you the perspective, information and opinions to guide you. I suggest you take a few notes as you surf through our pages. Then do some brainstorming with your traveling companions; bringing kids into the planning process can be a great thing.
As California natives, we’ve gained a lot of SoCal-erly vacation wisdom over the past several decades and, with a team of associate-gurus, look forward to sharing that with you as you vacate in the Southland. You'll notice that we are growing consistently to cover more and more turf; check back often as we'll be adding a lot of new material regularly.
For you who are about to vacation in the place many of us affectionately call Southern California,
The Guru will see you now…
P.S. Our proper "given" name is SoCal-vacation-guru.com, but my friends call me SoCalGuru.com in a reverent, informal manner. You're a friend, and you can conveniently get to this web site either way!
SoCal Vacation Guru is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- The SoCal Vacation Guru Has Found Some Deals On Travel Products
- Owning the right luggage, security devices and other travel products can have a big effect on your safety and enjoyment during your Southern California vacation. Here are some nice deals.
- Summer Travel In Southern California: Here's The Big Picture
- Considering summer travel in Southern California? The SoCal Vacation Guru has important information about geography, weather, freeways and more to enhance your trip. Here's the Big Picture!
- The Southern California Melting Pot; enjoy the ethnic diversity!
- The Southern California Melting Pot makes for wonderful vacation opportunities. The Guru will tell you about Chinatown, Little Saigon, Little Tokyo and other fascinating ethnic neighborhoods!
- The SoCal Vacation Guru Mini Blog
- Southern California is a dynamic place and there's always something interesting happening. Here are short items describing current events or upcoming activities that might be of interest.
- Here Are Your Southern California Vacation Planning Videos
- Here are videos by the SoCal Vacation Guru to help you with your Southern California vacation planning. We begin with Understanding Disneyland Resort; how to park and get inside the easy way.
- The Best Southern California Hotels; Here Is A Great Resource
- The SoCal Vacation Guru offers the best deals on southern California hotels, and you don't pay until you stay
- Moving To Southern Calfornia? The SoCal Vacation Guru Has Contacts
- If you are thinking about moving to Southern California that is a big step. The SoCal Vacation Guru can put you in touch with a trustworthy Real Estate Professional.
- Tell Me About The SoCal Guru
- The SoCal Vacation Guru would like to thank these guys for making this possible. Here is more information about the SoCal Guru.
- Your Best Disneyland Resort Vacation--Here are Tips from locals!
- Let SoCal locals help you plan your best Disneyland vacation. Learn what to do and what not to do at the Disneyland Resort.
- Your Best Knott's Berry Farm Vacation; The SoCal Guru Will Help!
- Get the best from your Knott's Berry Farm vacation. The SoCal Guru has tips and information on Knott's, Soak City and other Orange County destinations!
- Is Universal Studios Hollywood Part Of Your Southern California Vacation Plans?
- Let the Socal Guru help you plan your visit to Universal Studios Hollywood. Don't forget the studio tour, CityWalk and the great theme park. Homer Simpson has come to town! Get details here.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain: Roller Coasters and Looney Tunes!
- Six Flags Magic Mountain is THE premier theme park on the West Coast for roller coaster fans. You also get to spend a day with Looney Tunes characters. The Guru has insight for you.
- Sea World or SeaWorld--Either Way It's A Fantastic Day in San Diego!
- Your San Diego vacation is not complete without at least one day at Sea World. This theme park has the right balance of shows, rides and exhibits. And Shamu of course!
- Legoland California Resort-- A Wonderful Park For Kids and Families
- Nestled above the Pacific Ocean at Carlsbad is Legoland California. This cool theme park specializes in kids from 2-12, but offers fun for older brothers and sisters also. The Guru has the scoop!
- San Diego Vacations: How Much Time Do You Have?
- The problem with San Diego vacations is that you could spend 3 weeks here and still be busy with new activities. The SoCal Guru has information and advice to help you plan your best trip!
- Your Best Los Angeles Vacation: Plan It Here
- Let SoCal locals help you plan your best Los Angeles vacation. It starts with the right planning and a little insight. See what the SoCal Vacation Guru has to say!
- So Many Hollywood Attractions, So Little Time: What You Need To Know!
- Which Hollywood attractions will you include in your Southern California vacation? The SoCal Vacation Guru has some helpful information, tips and wisdom to help create the best Hollywood vacation.
- The Coolest Orange County Vacation. Learn What The Locals Know
- How can O. C. locals help you plan the best Orange County vacation? Learn what the locals know about Disneyland, Knott's, beaches and other attractions!
- Cruising Southern California Freeways. Here Are Tips On Getting Around SoCal!
- Do you plan to drive in SoCal? Here are some tips from the SoCal Guru on Cruisin' Southern California freeways (and public transportation too)!
- Train Travel: Southern California Fits Right In To Your Plans
- Are you considering a vacation that includes train travel? Southern California is a natural destination. The SoCal Guru has some ideas for you!
- So Many Orange County Beaches! Locals help you decide which ones to visit
- There are over 30 Orange County Beaches believe it or not. The SoCal Guru can help you make sense of your many opportunities for a great beach vacation.
- The Best Orange County Restaurants, Shopping and Entertainment. Find It Here!
- Look to the SoCal Vacation Guru for what the locals know about Orange County restaurants, shopping, nightclubs and entertainment! Dave and Buster's? Souvenir shopping? Historic Districts? It's here!
- Discover Orange County Activities Beyond Disney, Knott's and the Beaches!
- There are dozens of Orange County Activities to enhance your Southern California vacation. Check out museums, sports events, arts, parks, you name it! The SoCal Guru will help you learn about it!
- Orange County Travel Ideas and Suggestions For Common Vacation Challenges.
- What if you have a limited vacation budget? What if you only have a day or two for your Orange County travel? The Guru gives guidance to avoid situations that could detract from your SoCal Vacation.
- How Are We Doing? The SoCal Guru Would Like To Know
- Please tell us, How Are We Doing? We want to make the SoCal Vacation Guru the best possible site!
- Contact us. We'd Like to Hear From You.
- This is where you can contact the SoCal Vacation Guru.
- Love The SoCal Vacation Guru? How About A Donation?
- If you've found the SoCal Vacation Guru to be helpful, please consider making a very small donation.